The Robert Bruch Building

Small Overview
  •  

The Robert Bruch Building

One enters the Robert Bruch Building, former military hospital built between 1863 and 1866, either by the parvis, or by the Trèves road that it follows. Its nickname “the Criminal” comes from the Abbey’s past as a prison. Long ago, the most dangerous criminals were imprisoned there. Today, the building, who is named after the famous Luxembourger philologist and dialectologue Robert Bruch, who was imprisoned here during the Nazi occupation, is home to the direction and the cultural department of the CCRN, the Franco-Germano-Luxmebourger cultural institute Pierre Werner (IPW, www.ipw.lu) and the European Institute of Cultural Itineraries of the Counsel of Europe (IEIC, www.culture-routes.lu). It also houses workshops, studios and duplexes reserved for resident or passing artists. It should be noted that this building’s very austere and massive appearance sheathes a very admirable architectural aspect with the visible stones in the walls, the third floor ceiling arches and the materials used for its restoration (steel, glass).